- Each atom consists of a very small nucleus composed of protons and neutrons, which is encircled by moving electrons.
- Charge on sub-atomic particles
- Electrons and protons are electrically charged, the charge magnitude being 1.60 ϫ 10-19 C
- Electrons are negatively charged and protons are positively charged.
- Neutrons are electrically neutral.
- Mass of the sub-atomic particles
- Protons and neutrons have approximately the same mass – 1.67 ϫ 10-27 kg.
- Mass of an electron is significantly less than that of protons and neutrons – 9.11 ϫ 10-31 kg.